Immigration Trends

September 13, 2009

As you study colonization, the term immigration is used to describe the various groups of people who arrived in North America from the 1600′s to the present.  Based on your current readings think about who came to the shores of North America and their reasons for coming here.   Who were they and what were their reasons for immigrating here? Since then many other groups have arrived in what is now known as the United States. Ask five other adults for the reasons for immigrating here. Then respond in a summary paragraph to as what your findings are and compare the immigrants of the 1600′s and those who recently immigrated within the last 70 years. Due date 9/17.

Entry Filed under: Homework. Posted in  Homework .

47 Comments Add your own

•    N Orozco  |  September 14th, 2009 at 5:27 pm     

People immigrated in the United States for different reasons. Slaves were brought by force. Others came due to their religious freedom, including the Pilgrims and the Puritans. Immigration also was caused by trade and profit by the English. Some Immigrants came here to change the government that ruled over them. I asked five adults (that I knew) why they came to the United States and immigrated here. Their responses were: “for a better life”, “for a better job”, “to better their children’s’ future”, “to receive health insurance”, and “to get an education”. These responses are similar to immigrants of the 1600′s because some wanted more money. The responses differentiated because more people come to get their lives straightened up and better than for religion reasons.

•    P.Pintor  |  September 14th, 2009 at 7:20 pm     

Not all English settlers came to North America in search of wealth. Some came to find Religious freedom.
    Its different because in the 1600′s some people came in search for religious freedom. They also came in search of wealth. People in the early past came and come in search for jobs and a better future for their family. They want their children to have a better future and for their grandsons and grandaughters to have a better future. Also so they could have what they didnt have when they were small.

•    Bgonzalez  |  September 15th, 2009 at 3:38 pm     

Some settlers came to North America to have religious freedom. Some people that I asked said they came here to have a better life. They also said to have a better life for their children. Some people came here to look for better jobs. Also to get educated. In the 1600s people came for weatlth and religious freedom. This are some reasons why people came the United Sates.

•    MThompson  |  September 15th, 2009 at 4:12 pm     

In the 1600s people came to the east coast in search of wealth and religious freedom. Slaves were brought here to help establish and build the colonies.More recently, people come here for better lives for them and thier children and more oppertunities. This is a place where you can practice any religion you want. In the past 70 years more people have come here to recieve better lives.

•    E DIAZ  |  September 15th, 2009 at 4:17 pm     

people came to the U.S. in search of better lives they also came to provide a better life for there family. When people heard that there was more opportunity for them and they had religious freedom in the U.S. those are some of the reasons but I think that they came for the wealth.

•    Alina A.  |  September 15th, 2009 at 4:22 pm     

Different kinds of people came to North America in the 1600′s. There were people that came for wealth, slaves, and people who simply just came for religious freedom. Pilgrims and the group of people called Puritans were the main people who came to North America for religious freedom. And slaves were just forced over here. These immigrants that came changed the government style. The Puritans established their own government called Theocracy, which means rule by religion. As I asked five adults why they came over here I noticed a trend. Everybody comes over here for a better life. A better life for themselves and their family. I guess all immigrants, back then or today, come to North America come for a better life.

•    mlazaro  |  September 15th, 2009 at 6:27 pm     

people immigrated to North America for different reasons. Slaves were brought by force. Some came for religious freedom like the pilgrims and puritans. And some went to find wealth.From the 1600′s things have changed because of all the five adults I have asked they all said that they immigrated her to seek better jobs, to have a better future for them and their children, and to get an education. Things have changed now because back in the 1600′s all they wanted was wealth and religious freedom.Unlike now people just want a better life.

•    R. Antunez  |  September 15th, 2009 at 6:47 pm     

In the old days people such as the puritans immigrated to the seeking religious freedom or they seeked wealth.When i asked the five adults their answers were for a better life and education for their family, and so that they could send their families some money for their needs. But in this time now the people are not coming here seeking religious freedom, because in their home country they could choose the religion that they wanted to practice.

•    M. Garcia  |  September 15th, 2009 at 6:51 pm     

In the 1600′s Puritans came for religious freedom because they wanted to have the free will to follow whatever religion they wanted.Immigrants also came to North America to straight up their lifes into better one and for wealth. When I asked five adults of why they came to the United States some of there responses were “to get an education”, “for wealth”, “for my child’s future”, “to have a better life”, and ” to get a better job than what they had before.” Some similarities between the people from the 1600′s and the immigrants from today are that they all came for a better life and better wealth. A difference is that in the 1600′s people also came to escape from their government which made them follow one religion which in other words they came for religious freedom.

•    ALagunas  |  September 15th, 2009 at 8:15 pm     

From what we have learned in school, some immigrants came here to seek religious freedom. Others wanted to came to America to grow buisnesses and become wealthy. Today, people come to the United States to support their families. They come to get their children a better eduation and to get themselves a good job.

•    J. Taing  |  September 15th, 2009 at 8:44 pm     

Immigrants flocked to the United States for many various reasons. Pilgrims and Puritans came in sought of Religious Freedom, slaves were forced to America, some immigrants wanted to trade here, whilst others came to seek a different government.
    I asked five adults, my mom about my Grandpa (now deceased), my Grandpa on my Fathers side, as well as my friends mom and dad, and lastly my moms Great Grandma, why they decided to come to America. When my Mother told me
    about my Grandpa, she said he came over to escape the Khmer Rouge, along with his mother and father. My Fathers Father said he was seeking a better life, and more oppritunities. As for my friends Parents, they both came to America for two reasons: a better future for their, then, maybe children, and a job. My Great Grandma had said that she wanted to give my Grandpa a better life, and wanted him to succeed in life, much like the reasons of the people from the 1600′s, they wanted the same things we did, which all revolved around a better life and wealth. But, for my Grandpa and Grandma, the story was only half relatable. They were trying to escape the Khmer Rouge, as the men and women from the 1600′s were just looking to leave their country.

•    M. Garduno  |  September 15th, 2009 at 10:02 pm     

In the 1600′s settlements in the Southern colonies were started by a group of investors who were trying to find a way to make money off of the newly discovered lands in North America. Also some people immigrated to North America for the good soil for farming. For example, some people immigrated to America for tobacco which became a major cash crop for the Southern colonies. Others came for a better life, for jobs, to support their families, for income, and modern technology.

•    A.Garcia  |  September 16th, 2009 at 3:30 pm     

Immigrants came to North America because some people called Puritans, were seeking religious freedom and money. Immigrants made money by cash crops such as tobacco. The difference between immigrants from the 1600′s and now is that now people don’t come for religious freedom. Immigrants now a days come here to find better opportunities. I asked five grown ups why did they come here and they said “a better life”, “more money”, “better health”, “a better chance for their kids” and “to get an education”.

•    Carlos Leyva  |  September 16th, 2009 at 3:31 pm     

In england persecution was up and about against a certain group of people, the puritans. The puritans wanted to stay in the church but wanted to study a different religion. So, after the persecution ended, the survivng puritans escaped to America for religous freedom. English settlers also came to America in search of soil for cash crops which they later on found that it was everywhere in the southern and middle colonies, The people i asked about their reasons coming to the united states were simply “for a better life” or “to support my family”

•    L.Garcia  |  September 16th, 2009 at 3:44 pm     

People who came to North America in the 1600′s were searching for wealth and religious freedom. They knew that they could find more opportunities here than where they had come from. The response from the adults, that I asked, was that they also came in search of wealth because just like in the 1600′s, there are more opportunities here. The other common reason that they said, was for their children to have a better future.

•    Z. Huizar  |  September 16th, 2009 at 4:28 pm     

Peolple came to America in search of two thing,Religious freedom and wealth.The peple that wanted religious freedom were the Pilgims and the Puritans.The ohers just came to America for wealth. I asked 5 adults that are imagrants, why they came to America?They all responded simular. Most said that they were in search of an education,and a better life for themselves and their families.

•    D.Bustos  |  September 16th, 2009 at 4:57 pm     

People immigrated to the united states for many reasons.Some came for a need and others by force like.For example, the slaves came here by force and were sold.In addition, the Puritans came here in search of religious because they were being persecuted in England. Immigration was also caused by many other different reasons.For example, i asked five people why they came to California.Two people told me they came here in search of a better life.Another person said they came here for their sons to have a better life.And another two persons told me they came here in search of money,better life,and a family. These reasons are similar to the one of people in the 1600′s because many people came here for abetter life and have more money.

•    xnguyen  |  September 16th, 2009 at 5:25 pm     

In the 1600′s people came for two main reasons one is religion freedom and wealth. Now people come for different reasons. when I asked my grand parents they said they came to escape the war and I got the same response from my parents and aunts. they said that there homes were not safe so they had to relocate. But that’s only my family and I’m sure there are many more reasons to immigrate.

•    Rmorales  |  September 16th, 2009 at 5:33 pm     

People came to America for different reasons.Some came in search of gold or silver and become wealthy. Others came to America for religous freedom and to escape persecution from the Church of England because they wanted Catholic ideas removed from their religion.In the 1900′s people came to America hoping to find better work or to escape from a cruel government. Others camr here to find a better future fore their kids and generations to come.

•    E.Albarran  |  September 16th, 2009 at 6:06 pm     

The majority of the people that live here to day are all bsicly immigrents from diffrent generations.In the early times people immagrated here for religous freedom,free fo a king or dictator, and for wealth.This is what the majority resonse people came here. Sometimes they come to runaway from something or run from the past.Now of days people come because they hear how great is America, want change thier future from them and children,runaway from cruption,jobs/MULAH(money), and also to start a family or a new life.

•    O Solano  |  September 16th, 2009 at 6:22 pm     

Some English people came to North America not just for the wealth, but to seek religious freedom. The puritans came to not be slaves. Some immigraters came for a better future and to make their kids life better. Those 2 reasons are the same.

•    R. Castro  |  September 16th, 2009 at 7:02 pm     

Many immagrants came to North America for many different reasons including religous freedom and wealth. These people were the Puritans. They came to North America, in search of religious freedom. They came because the church of England was persecuting them for practicing thier own religion. My mom said she came here becuase she wanted to live a better life. also, my dad came here to look for a good job. Another, person that came was my aunt, she came here to try to have all of her kids be born here. My uncle came here to try to start his own resrturant and to live the American dream. In conclusion, many people came here for the same reason, which was to live a better life.

•    mlazaro  |  September 16th, 2009 at 7:11 pm     

People immigrated to north america for different reasons. One reason was because some seeked religious freedom like the puritans because they didnt want to be persecuted. Another reason is because some were in search of wealth. Some things have changed because from the five adults I have asked they have said that they immigrated here for a better life for them and their children, a better education, and a better future. But some things are the same too because both are in search for more wealth.

•    Kimberly V  |  September 16th, 2009 at 7:17 pm     

The Puritans and pilgrims immigrated to North America for religious freedom because they were being persecuted by the Roman catholic church. Some people from Europe came here for wealth. I asked five adults why they immigrated here all said, for better job opportunities.

•    JPina  |  September 16th, 2009 at 8:08 pm     

People immigrated to the united states for different reasons. One of the main ones was religious freedom in order to avoid prosecution and be able practice his or her religion freely with also perhaps a different government. People would also migrate for wealth.Today compared to the 1600′s people come here for their loved ones or to raise their loved ones. People such as my family (grandpa ,grandma ,dad ,mom ,aunt ,uncle ,etc.) came here in order to raise their family in a place where there children can have advanced things their generation never had. Some come in order to avoid the contreversial fugitives in their county which somewhat similar to 1600′s .

•    V. Daskalakis  |  September 16th, 2009 at 8:11 pm     

In the 1600s, people,(such as the Europeans) came to America for several reasons. Those reasons were to make money, to live better lives, to live healthier lives and for religious freedom. In the Southern colonies, people made a lot of money because of the tobacco they grew which became a major cash crop so was rice and indigo. If it wasn’t for the Indians, the Europeans would ‘ve died because they didn’t know how to grow crops. People also got to practice their religion in the Southern colonies. In the Middle colonies, they also had profitable crops such as wheat. In the New England colonies, cutting lumber, fishing and raising livestock were important in the New England colonies which made the colonies profitable. I’ve asked five of my relatives who have immigrated to North America why they came here. They said they came to North America to live better lives and to make money. Their reasons are similar to those in the 1600s. In conclusion, in the past 70 years, people immigrated to America to live better lives and to make money.

•    JMedranda  |  September 16th, 2009 at 9:30 pm     

People immigrated around the 1500′s from Europe along the east coast of North America. Most came in search for religious freedom, because in England Puritans were persecuted rather than able to have their freedom. Others came in search of wealth so they can provide their family and so their kids can become wealthy

•    G Mejia  |  September 16th, 2009 at 10:18 pm     

In the 1600′s, people known as the puritans left England to escape being persecuted by the king. When i asked 5 adults they all gave me the same response, they came looking for a job and a better future for their children.

•    Kimberly V.  |  September 17th, 2009 at 7:32 am     

People immigrated here for various reasons. Puritans- people who didn’t want to follow the Roman Catholic Church’s rituals- came to North America with other pilgrims to escape from being persecuted in England. Other people came to North America seeking wealth, they found it in the Southern Colonies. I asked my parents about their reason for coming to North America and they said to have an opportunity for a better future. My grandma said she was brought here by her daughters when they wanted to find jobs here.

•    V. Daskalakis  |  September 17th, 2009 at 7:36 am     

People immigrated to America for many reasons. Those reasons were to make money, to live better, healthier lives, and to have religious freedom. In th 1600s, those were the reasons why people wanted to immigrate here. For example, some people from England came here to practice their religion without being prosecuted. They also came here to live, healthier lives. After the Indians showed them how to grow crops such as tobacco, the English started to make a lot of money. Those crops they grew were called cash crops. I’ve asked five of my relatives why they immigrated to America. They said they immigrated to America because they wanted to make money and to live better lives, especially for their children.

•    cmiraglia  |  November 18th, 2009 at 9:44 pm     

Cynthia,

My students have access to my classroom laptops and school labs if they don’t have a computer.